[kwlug-disc] When it comes to open source hardware can we look at LORA/Meshtastic?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jul 11 19:15:51 EDT 2024

Mosquitto and LORA work at different levels.

Mosquitto is an implementation of MQTT, which is all in software.
MQTT can work over Ethernet, WiFi, ...etc.
For example, I use MQTT extensively for home automation using HomeAssistant.
I just connect the device to WiFi, and use Paho MQTT (Python library)
to send stuff over.
For a Bluetooth device (Radon/Temperature/Humidity/Pressure/VOC), a
gateway that takes data from here to there.

LORA on the other hand is a hardware level thing, and requires
specialized devices.
Think WiFi but for widely distributed telemetry, e.g. crop monitoring.