[kwlug-disc] Image viewer that can build up a slideshow

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Jan 30 23:47:07 EST 2024

The right noun phrase is something like "image viewer inotify".

The delayed filename adding that Chris talked about is exactly the
hard part. No image viewer that I found (except a web browser like
Firefox, I guess) supports that. However, there are a small number
that support watching a particular folder for changes (pqiv, feh,
geeqie). Of these I could only get geeqie to work well with my
tiling window manager, which is a shame because it is the heaviest of
the three.

The workflow then becomes:
- Start up geeqie to look at a folder, with assorted settings (sort by
  date, disable all the thumbnail cruft) enabled.
- Every time I want to add to the slideshow, save the file into that
  folder.
- Then geeqie picks up the image in its list.

By "slideshow" I did not actually mean something that auto-forwards
ever X seconds. I just wanted a sequence of images I could flip
through manually. This solution works well enough for that. It is not exactly
the same as Steve's suggestion but it is based on a similar principle
of using a folder as the organizing mechanism.

- Paul

--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org
Housing: https://unionsd.coop