[kwlug-disc] GNU Parallel presentation... with homework!

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Jan 21 13:11:04 EST 2024

We have (tentative?) confirmation from Ole Tange the GNU Parallel
developer to present in February.

We did not get anywhere as far as we wanted in Andrew's tutorial,
which was not Andrew's fault. So we want to make sure that at least a
subset of our audience is familiar with the GNU Parallel basics.

My goal is to have at least five (and preferably 10) people who are
willing to commit to being prepared for the presentation. I
arbitrarily define this to mean:

- Watching the playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpaiGYxkSuQ&list=PL284C9FF2488BC6D1
- Trying at least three invocations of GNU parallel on their own
  computers
- Will attend the February meeting either virtually or in-person.

If you are willing to commit to this (and will keep that commitment)
please let me know either on the list or offline.

The goal here is to increase the likelihood that Ole will have an
informed audience for his talk so that he will feel the experience was
worthwhile for him. I want all of our presenters to have worthwhile
experiences, but (a) Ole has requested that we be prepared, and (b) he
will be presenting to us from many timezones away, so it is a big ask
for him to speak.

- Paul

Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org
Housing: https://unionsd.coop