[kwlug-disc] cli weather

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Feb 20 10:03:04 EST 2024

While we are geeking out on weather, I like to add that there are two
open weather APIs that you can use to check current conditions as well
as forecast whichever way you want.

One is the Norwegian Weather Service
As an API
https://api.met.no/weatherapi/locationforecast/2.0/documentation

As a web site (search for a location closer to you)
https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-6136345/Canada/Ontario/Rummelhardt

The other is Openweather
https://openweathermap.org/guide

Using the above, I was able to make an astronomy oriented forecast
that would email me when there are several hours of clear sky in the
forecast, along with other stuff such as when dusk is over (so sky is
dark), when the moon rises, and how much illumination it has, and so
on ...

Here is a screenshot of how it looks like.

https://imgur.com/5ao1AWv.png