[kwlug-disc] Remote vs local meetings, five months in

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Wed Feb 14 16:08:07 EST 2024

On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 11:25:25AM -0500, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> - Is the existing microphone working okay for hearing the presenter?

I found it ok.

> - Is it that you do not want to hear background chatter at all, or is
>   it irritating because the background chatter is faint?

I want to hear the background chatter.  Even if the wording is unclear,
sometimes there is laughter, or non-verbal reactions, and that is the
kind of human interaction that is very hard to get with only remote,
because we normally have ourselves muted.  So this is where the live
crowd adds something that the remote doesn't have.

> - Do you feel differently about our presenters that are remote as
>   compared to those in-person? (It is interesting that usually at
>   least one of our presenters ends up being remote each month).

As I am remote, everything is remote.  I can imagine that it may feel
different in person, but in that case, it's more like watching an
interactive video.  Not a bad thing.

> . Our thinking was that (a) it was good enough that people could hear
> the presenters clearly, and (b) hearing the in-room questions and
> chatter was a feature, not a bug.  This may not be the case.

I like that thinking.  But if you do get a directional mic, perhaps
that can be used for the presenter, while the puck is placed in the
middle of the audience.

- Chris