[kwlug-disc] Search engine that actually searches for strings

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Thu Sep 21 17:18:19 EDT 2023

I tried this search in Google, and I got the same quality of results as from Kagi.com, in that all of the results contained "verbum". I recently read a forum thread about the fact that Google no longer consistently honours quoted keywords unless you turn on the "verbatim" mode that is accessed using Tools >> All Results >> Verbatim. But in the search I did, Verbatim wasn't necessary. Everybody gets different results from the same Google search due to the results being conditioned by the profile that Google constructs for you, even if you aren't logged in. Since I don't normally use Google services, and use a lot of tech to prevent Google from constructing a profile for me, maybe that made a difference in my search outcome?