[kwlug-disc] Search engine that actually searches for strings

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Sep 21 07:46:27 EDT 2023

Now it seems to highlight bible unless I quote it (on DuckDuckGo).

If I quote multiple things it feels free to ignore the terms I care
about most.

wordpress.org "verbum" "comment form" -"bible"

gives me
https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/comment_form/
https://wordpress.org/documentation/article/comments-in-wordpress/

as the top two results. (Note that I am trying wordpress.org and not
wordpress.com here). Neither of these top two results appears to
contain the string "verbum".

This string must exist someplace, although maybe only as a substring.
(I am pretty sure I have seen this phenomenon even when searching for
standalone phrases.) It is being generated in the wordpress.com source
code somehow. So I guess I have to find the source code. Why isn't any
search engine willing to show me the source code repo?

I guess I am just too dumb to know how to use a search engine in 2023.
It is natural to blame the victim here, but I don't think my
expectation that "If I quote something then make sure it is in the
search results" is all that unreasonable.

I do not have documented evidence of this, but I feel that sometimes
if I appease the search engine gods somehow I will get subsequent
search results that DO contain the string, which means the string
exists in the search engine indices, but won't give me pages with
those strings when I ask for them directly.

- Paul