[kwlug-disc] Search engine that actually searches for strings

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Sep 20 23:19:35 EDT 2023

I don't know what happened to search engines, but they are getting
worse and worse and I am getting more and more annoyed.

wordpress.com recently changed its comment form. You used to be able
to enter in an email and name without Javascript, and you could submit
a comment. Now they have changed to something that uses the string
"verbum" in its class names. I want to know what this is so I can turn
it off. So I search for something like

wordpress.com comment form "verbum" -bible

(since there is some bible site that pollutes the results).

When I search on DuckDuckGo or Google or Bing, none of the search
results contain the string "verbum", even though in all three putting
the terms in scare quotes is supposed to search for the exact phrase.
This happens all the time. I try to search for exact strings and get
nonsense. I am so tired of it. Is there a search engine I can use that
will actually find pages containing the strings I am searching for? If
so what is it?

- Paul

--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org