[kwlug-disc] UW Computer Museum - Hardware Day Saturday October 28th, 10am

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Oct 9 14:39:23 EDT 2023

>From Lawrence at UW.

---

Attention all Vintage Computer enthusiasts!

On Saturday October 28th, the UW Computer Museum will be hosting a "Hardware Day" in which we will bring out a number of older computers and see which, if any, we can get running.   This follows our successful Hardware Day in August where we got a Commodore 64, and Apple ][, and an original IBM PC all running.  We will have some of those machines available to see what software we can run, plus some others we want to work on.

We also would like to have a couple of speakers - one in the morning and one in the afternoon.  Topics and speakers still to be determined.  If you are interested in giving a short talk (30 to 45 minutes) or know someone who would, please let us know.

We will be working in DC2585 (Grad Seminar Room) which we have booked for the day.  You are welcome to join us to help or just see what's going on!

Timing: 10am setup, 4pm tear down.

Some of the machines we're planning to work on:
- Original Macintosh Plus/SE
- Apple ][ plus
- original IBM PC/XT
- Panasonic Executive Partner
- TRS-80 Model II
- TRS-80 Model 100
- an old Pong game
- an old Atari game system
- some old calculators
- and others

We might be able to accommodate others who wish to bring in something to work on.  Contact us if you're interested in doing that.

Wishlist:

  *   If anyone has an old TV (preferably small!) with an RF connector that would be helpful (for the Pong and Atari)
  *   We'd really like to get an Icon computer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICON_(microcomputer)
  *   An IBM 029 keypunch would be amazing to get!

Lawrence

Lawrence Folland (he/him)
Retired from the Computer Science Computing Facility
Ongoing volunteer work on the UW Computer Museum - https://computermuseum.uwaterloo.ca
Cell: 226-218-1822
I acknowledge that I work on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. I also acknowledge the enduring presence and deep traditional knowledge and philosophies of the Indigenous people with whom we share this land.