[kwlug-disc] Old Man Yells at ZFS (was: Docker Host Appliance)

John Sellens jsellens at syonex.com
Thu Jan 19 00:02:20 EST 2023

In these days where many machines are VMs, if space is running out,
you can allocate another disk, attach it to the VM, trigger a (re-)scan
for new devices, and if you're using LVM, you can pvcreate, vgextend,
lvextend, and xfs_growfs on a running virtual machine with no disruption.

If you're talking physical hardware, some might argue that LVM makes it
easy to leave some amount of space unused - especially if you have
multiple partitions - and then add space where needed.

To me - those are big advantages of LVM.

(I was telling students on Tuesday why we have both /bin and /usr/bin,
/tmp and /var/tmp, and /sbin and /usr/sbin - ah the good old days of
small disks, and less reliable filesystems.)

Hope that's helpful!

John