[kwlug-disc] Docker Host Appliance

Mark Steffen mark at steffen.ca
Wed Jan 18 09:53:14 EST 2023

A little late to the discussion but I’ll add my 2 cents..

I’m using ZFS for VM storage.  I’m not using a SLOG or L2ARC since all drives are SSDs.  Works well and seems to wear the drives less than hardware RAID.  Favourite feature is ZFS send/replication, great for backups/DR even over the Internet since it only sends the diffs each time.

I believe you can have a pool made of different vdevs of different drive sizes, where I think you want to be more careful is that the vdevs are made of similar performing drives or the pool may be only as fast as the slowest vdev since ZFS will spread data across all vdevs in the pool (it doesn’t rebalance when you add a new vdev however IIRC).  Vdevs can be made of differing drive sizes but the Vdev’s size will only be the smallest drive in the vdev x number of drives (and type; mirror/z1/z2/etc).  While a mishmash will still technically work, I still think it makes sense to have a pool made all from the same size/speed drives and identically configured vdevs (since, for example, a mirrored vdev is going to have different performance characteristics than a RAIDZ2 vdev, etc.)

Mark