[kwlug-disc] Old Man Yells at ZFS (was: Docker Host Appliance)

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Tue Jan 17 18:16:33 EST 2023

On 2023-01-17 17:16, William Park via kwlug-disc wrote:

>>> Sounds like a handy feature.
>>>
>>> But again, with btrfs RAID5/6 *should not be used in production*.
>>
>> Agreed, never use the parity modes in BTRFS.
>
> Yeah.  For those who aren't aware, BTRFS interpret RAID1 as "copies on
> 2 different disks".  So, it can do RAID1 across 3 disks, eg. disk A &
> B, disk B & C, and disk A & C.

Sorry, if you have three or more disks or they are bigger than 10TB, ZFS
is the only game in town.

BTRFS does fun things but only for RAID1/10.  For big drives, you will
want three (or more) redundant drives to have a fair chance of not
catching a bad read while rebuilding from a drive failure.

XFS/mdraid is OK if you do not care about your data.  Only ZFS is going
to reasonably check (and repair) data consistency problems.

If you want to expand your ZFS pool, leave a few drive bays empty and
add a new vdev when budget/capacity allow/require.  You might want to
touch a few files to rebalance, but pool autoexpansion is plenty fun.
You can also autoexpand by replacing drives in the existing array with
larger ones.

At the end of the day, do people really add drives to their storage
arrays all the time?
It always seemed like a feature that sounded great but probably does not
get used that often.
I am running the same ZFS array I built several years ago (with a couple
of failed drive replacements).

Finally, nothing beats LXD/LXC container snapshotting on ZFS for
convenience and security!