[kwlug-disc] Docker Host Appliance

Hubert Chathi hubert at uhoreg.ca
Tue Jan 17 11:40:47 EST 2023

On Mon, 16 Jan 2023 17:45:25 -0500, Chris Irwin via kwlug-disc <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> said:

[...]

> People claim ZFS handles databases/VMs better than btrfs, but I don't
> really see how since it appears to use the same COW semantics. Perhaps
> it's just hidden behind better caching.

FWIW, you can disable COW on btrfs for certain files, if you want better
performance for databases/VM images by using the +C file attribute .

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/FAQ#Can_copy-on-write_be_turned_off_for_data_blocks.3F

However, the +C file attribute only takes effect on newly-created
files.  So if you want it to work on existing files, you'll need to jump
through some hoops.  There's a script linked from the page above that
does what's needed to convert existing files/directories.

If you have +C set on a directory, any newly-created files will inherit
that attribute.

Hubert