[kwlug-disc] New Mastodon server for @kwlug

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Sun Jan 15 18:24:33 EST 2023

> gitlab

The new "respects your freedom" fork of gitea is called "forgejo" at Forgejo.org.
* Unlike gitlab, forgejo is fully open source.
* Unlike gitlab and gitea, Forgejo is administered by a non-profit organisation focussed on democracy, transparency.
* Forgejo is created by a team who is adding mastodon like federation via activitypub.
* The UI is extremely comfortable and familiar to github users.
* Forgejo is hosted at Codeberg.org, a nonprofit that cannot be purchased by an eccentric billionaire or evil multinational corp, and hosts 57,000 free software projects.

So check this out if you like Mastodon.

If you think hosting email is terrifying, hosting a forgeho or other source forge instance is also fraught, if you allow anybody on the internet to create an account and publish stuff for free. You need to monitor these accounts and take down malware or other illegal content very quickly. Codeberg's challenge is not in legal threats, because there's due process. The problem is having their IP addresses listed as malware sources in various block lists, without being notified that they are blacklisted.

Doug.