[kwlug-disc] Ducky vs Google and Bing

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Sat Jan 7 13:39:04 EST 2023

Doug Moen wrote on 2023-01-07 05:08:

> Or are we talking about its ability to hallucinate answers to
> questions? I'm skeptical about trusting the results of the latter,
> since there is no way to associate the results with a person or a
> reputation.

Have you ever met people? 'Cause I've met people, and that sounds like a
lot of people.

Except ChatGPT operates at a higher level than a lot of those people who
we have to endure day to day.

There's a skill in prompting it like there's a skill in crafting a
search query's terms.

>> I've seen demonstrations where it gives obviously wrong answers,
>> and when challenged, gives wrong justifications that seem
>> persuasive and eloquent.
>>

> So... ChatGPT is a politician simulator?

No need to restrict that to politicians, it's a human characteristic.

Recommended reading:

> Building A [Linux] Virtual Machine inside ChatGPT
>
> https://www.engraved.blog/building-a-virtual-machine-inside/

 From what I've heard, the results are such that a significant cohort of
people have, unprompted, switched to it for search.

If the topic is unhappiness with search engines, it's definitely worth a
try.

Does it return links? Probably. It can certainly interact with the
internet outside itself, including what came after its training cut-off
date.

I've seen it debug asynchronous code with excellent explanations of what
the bug was and a solution I hadn't even realized would work.