[kwlug-disc] Ducky vs Google and Bing

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Wed Jan 4 12:52:09 EST 2023

This is an in depth review of Kagi web search:
   https://www.makeuseof.com/what-is-kagi-search/

A list of specialized search engines, from the same site:
   https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/13-alternative-search-engines-that-find-what-google-cant/

One thing the ad-based search engines won't show me are honest product reviews from indie blog posts and forums. Putting 'review' in a search means show me ads and e-commerce sites for buying the product I want a review of.
But there are ways to search within forums:
  !r is a reddit search in Duck Duck Go
  https://boardreader.com/ -- forum and bulletin board search
  Kagi forum search (under advanced search/lenses)
My initial impression is that Kagi forum search is way better than the first 2 in the list. I tried 'lenovo thinkpad t14 gen 3'.

Searching code within in software forges like github:
  !gh -- github search in DDG -- finds repositories, not code
  https://searchcode.com/ -- weak
  grep.app -- pretty good code search
  Kagi Programming lens
The Kagi Programming lens includes results from !gh and grep.app, as well as searching forums focused on programming. It's pretty good since the result you want might come from a source file on github but it might also be in stackexchange.

I'm really impressed with Kagi so far.

Microsoft announced plans to incorporate ChatGPT tech from OpenAI into Bing.
Kagi has a machine learning division called Kagi.ai, and here's a blog post from 2019 saying that Kagi is working on the same idea <https://kagi.ai/last-mile-for-web-search.html>.  I don't see any recent updates though, and they don't have a vault full of money to shower on OpenAI. Just as with Google, there is also the question of whether the AI gives you the answer you want or whether the AI is using your question to formulate a response that will get you to spend money. I already feel like I am living in a society of people with little actual agency, because their emotions are manipulated and controlled by commercial interests via online media. GPT in the hands of big tech isn't going to improve the situation.

Doug