[kwlug-disc] Wi-fi questions

Jeff Smith crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 20:45:43 EST 2023

Wi-fi Nerds,

A bit of an emergency situation at home…

We have guests from the Ukraine coming to stay, possibly for some time, and I’m told that the wi-fi signal at the room they’ll be in is poor.  So I need some sort of signal boost.  The guest room and the router are at far ends of the house.

I’m worried about certain mesh systems that are privacy nightmares, or which systems actually work, etc.

Does anyone have a solid recommendation as to what to buy?  It might be theoretically possible to string a network cable to that end of the house then attach the booster there, if that’s the way to go.

My current wi-fi router is a Synology router.  Twist my arm enough and I could replace the router, if necessary.  I’m open to all suggestions.

Thanks,

Cranky

Reluctantly sent from my iPhone.