[kwlug-disc] fire damage to electronic equipment

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Thu Dec 14 02:15:26 EST 2023

Steve Izma wrote on 2023-12-13 09:01:

> We had a serious fire in our house on 2 December. We lost one of our
> two cats but the rest of us are fine and living in a house across
> the street from our home.

Really sad news Steve. Glad you are okay, condolences on the poor cat.

> the garage, where the fire started and was most intense.

Uh-oh.  This seem rather more common than it should be.

Khalid wrote:

> The fire was on the other side, and started in the garage
>
> And here is how the car that was in the garage looked (not an
> electric car by the way)

Another car-in-garage fire.

And it's virtually never electric cars causing this.

Really should be more prominently featured on the news.

I'm curious if Steve and Khalid know of the make / model of cars?

 > For the second time this month, Hyundai is telling some SUV owners to
 > park outdoors because an electrical short in a computer could cause
 > vehicles to catch fire.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hyundai-vehicle-recall-1.5720554

Also:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/marketplace-car-recall-investigation-1.5918348

It's interesting that an electric car crashing at 150km/h, with no
fatalities, but a fire, makes news.

Yet ICE vehicles catching fire in garages (attached to homes!) is so
common that it has happened twice to members of this list (with a degree
of separation in Khalid's instance, thankfully).

Best wishes Steve,

rb