[kwlug-disc] Refurbished/Used Android phones (best place locally?)

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Mon Apr 24 11:53:09 EDT 2023

I am a big fan of GrapheneOS, since I think it is the highest quality Android distro and the most secure. It has the most frequent security updates of any distro, and they will test and distribute Linux kernel security updates before Google does. Their web site is extremely technical and detailed. The default install uses no Google services, and has no closed source libraries or apps, which is the way I like it. I use F-Droid for apps. The Google Play store is also supported, with multiple levels of sandboxing available to mitigate privacy and security concerns. Google Play compatibility is very good but not perfect -- apparently some banking apps will detect that you are running an open source distro and fail to work.

The main limitation of GrapheneOS is that it only runs on Google Pixel phones. This is because not many phones have the necessary hardware to support Graphene's security model. And also, it's hard to have rock solid software supported by a small team if you support hundreds of different phone models. An example is the Camera app. There's a lot of variability in camera hardware. Graphene develops their own OSS camera app tuned for Google hardware.

LineageOS runs on a lot of different hardware, but I feel it can't be as solid and secure as Graphene because of this.

CalyxOS competes with GrapheneOS in the space of secure phone operating systems. After reading about both extensively, and comparing their web sites, my gut feeling was that I trusted Calyx less than Graphene. Calyx provides a lot less information about why their phone should be considered secure -- I don't think they adequately back up their marketing messages. FWIW the Graphene team claims that the Calyx code for supporting Google Play apps (microG) is less secure and less compatible than Graphene. The Calyx team claims that the Calyx approach is more OSS and more "respects your freedom". IDK: either way you are using Google services and closed source libraries/apps. I don't, I use F-Droid.

I looked briefly at DivestOS, a Lineage fork with a focus on software freedom and security. Their FAQ says
"If you can acquire/afford a Pixel 6/6a/7, go buy one and use GrapheneOS."
And I did.

There are many more distros that I didn't investigate. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_custom_Android_distributions>

I have very specific tastes and requirements, so you may want something different. Fortunately, there are many choices.

Doug Moen.