[kwlug-disc] ChatGTP + Bing: we're entering a new paradigm and it's mind-blowing

Jonathan Poole jpoole at digitaljedi.ca
Thu Apr 6 18:33:18 EDT 2023

Our current media streams are about as bad imho.  But I’m in this personal paradigm that computers are stupid, but AI scared the shit out of me.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 6, 2023, at 5:25 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

A few weeks back, Europol was warning on the use of LLMs in crime

https://www.reuters.com/technology/europol-sounds-alarm-about-criminal-use-chatgpt-sees-grim-outlook-2023-03-27 <https://www.reuters.com/technology/europol-sounds-alarm-about-criminal-use-chatgpt-sees-grim-outlook-2023-03-27>

Then yesterday, the Washington Post had an article that is very concerning,
even scary, to say the least.

ChatGPT claimed that a certain law professor sexually harassed a student
on a class trip to Alaska, and cites a Washington Post article.
There was no such trip, and no such article.

And Bing/GPT-4 drew from the professor's defence against the false ChatGPT
claims to answer a similar question: so now we have an echo chamber
of bots! Like Social Media Bubbles, but worse ...

ChatGPT also claims that a mayor in Australia served jail time for bribery.

And it led a journalist to contact a certain university professor citing

an article she published, with dates. No such article exists ...

This is likely to ruin lives ... the end of the articles has quotes of examples.

And notably, a Princeton University computer science professor is quoted
saying what Doug Moen said all along: these LLMs are Bullshit Generators ...

https://archive.is/lJj3c <https://archive.is/lJj3c>

with the subject "unsubscribe", or email

kwlug-disc-owner at kwlug.org to contact a human being.