[kwlug-disc] folder encryption

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Thu Sep 29 16:38:10 EDT 2022

> I've been using VeraCrypt to secure/hide sensitive data since it was
> known as TrueCrypt.  Lately I've found it unreliable (seizes up, loses
> connections, file corruption, etc.)  I've tried uninstall/reinstall
> and recreating the encrypted file, but it's still unreliable.
>
> It might be the underlying NAS that's causing the problems but I don't
> have a lot of options for moving these files elsewhere.
>
> So..  what do you guys recommend for natively (i.e. inside Ubuntu) for
> creating a folder then encrypting all the contents?  Is this a doable
> thing without major headaches?

Before delivering own solution, hm, hm, :) , I have been using encfs

If you are not storing blueprints for nuclear plant, this is ok, with
their little warning statement.

encfs uses fuse to mount unencrypted view of data.

encfs uses single file for each file you encrypt, and structural tree is
kept in folder with cyphers, but file names are encrypted. This isn't
military grade perfect, but might be good enough, hence their warning.

But many smaller files look better for incremental backups than single
file for fs.

When code comes from thus mounted place, with a ton in the project, VS
Code sometimes complains about limit of file watchers. Either I haven't
set usual thingy in this setup, that I used to do, or fuse limit,
potentially adjustable, etc.