[kwlug-disc] data entry tools on linux

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Wed Sep 21 01:25:02 EDT 2022

On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 04:18:43PM -0400, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> In my experience there is no TUI that allows you to enter tabular data
> well. I would love to be wrong about this. sc is supposedly a TUI
> spreadsheet but it is not nice and I don't like it.

Thanks Paul!  I forgot all about sc.  It still doesn't really solve
my data entry problem, but I'm happy to be reminded it exists.
I even had it installed already, so I must have played with it before.

It could even be one of the data format outputs of my ideal dataentry
tool... sql, csv, and sc :-)  The file format looks pretty straightforward.

> My workaround is to use LibreOffice, but not worry about wizards. Just
> enter data into tables. Make a new tab for each database "table", and
> manage the relationships carefully myself. If you have this much, then
> a short python program can use Pandas to slurp in the LibreOffice file
> and manipulate the schema as you wish.

That's sadly not nearly the ease of use I'm hoping for.  If I have to
maintain the relationships carefully, I might as well just type
raw SQL. :-)

Thanks!
- Chris