[kwlug-disc] SIGILL in my antic Phenom II machine

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Wed Oct 12 07:41:49 EDT 2022

phenom II is an older architecture from 2008-2012 that supports x86, x86-64, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4a, AMD-V

2014 i7 is Haswell and supports  MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, FMA3, F16C, (BMI1)(Bit Manipulation Instructions1)+BMI2, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST), Intel 64, XD bit (an NX bit implementation), Intel VT-x, Hyper-threading, Turbo Boost 2.0, AES-NI, Smart Cache, Intel Insider

One of your binaries is trying to execute an instruction that is supported by Haswell but not by Phenom II.