[kwlug-disc] Attendance

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Wed Oct 5 01:11:03 EDT 2022

Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote on 2022-10-04 17:44:

> I have noticed that our attendance is dropping.

FWIW, SFLUG publishes subscriber counts: (excuse the bad formatting,
blame Thunderbird!):

> $ sf-lug_roster_stat
>

> YYYY-MM-DD
>
> 2022-08-22 247

> 2015-01-22 328

So, their numbers have been in slow decline too.

But KWLUG is still the Gold Standard™ of LUGs, IMHO.  Largest (online)
meetings. Most informative meetings. Most active mailing list.

> I was expecting significantly more people for Doug's presentation
> last month, for example. I think partially people are tired of
> virtual meetings, and partially we have not been doing a good job of
> publicizing the group,
I think online has helped grow attendance since it's easier.

If you figure out a way to publicize the group without paying Meetup.com
money, let me know!

I've tried Reddit and Twitter, don't think I got a single sign-up.

Most LUGs I interact with skew towards older people and they're not
active on social media.  Younger folks don't seem as interested or I
can't find them.

rb