[kwlug-disc] a present for the older guys here...

Mark Steffen mark at steffen.ca
Wed Nov 30 10:41:28 EST 2022

Fellow Major/Worldgroup fan. WG was pretty neat, especially their Winsock implementation in the Windows client, let you become an AOL-style “easy” ISP (no messing around with SLIP and Trumpet windsock etc.).  Too bad it was so short-lived.  I first tried Major in 89 when I bought a license off some guy in Stratford for 2 lines, contacted Galacticomm and got the gaming edition or whatever it was called added — it was a fixed selection of a few games, but people liked the chats and forums the most it seemed anyway.  I still remember “SRQS” or “FRQS” commands to check for new message board messages.

Tim Stryker (Gcomm founder) was a smart guy, was sad when I heard about his passing. :(

Mark