[kwlug-disc] a present for the older guys here...

Mark Steffen mark at steffen.ca
Wed Nov 30 10:13:13 EST 2022

Oh wow! Man I miss the BBS days.

Started BBSing autumn 87 with a QuantumLink starter kit (later AOL) and 300bps Commodore 1660 modem on my C64. I lived way out in Wingham which sucked because EVERYTHING (including Datapac/Tymnet “local access numbers”) were long distance.

Tried a tonne of different BBS programs for C64 (Vision was my fav as it had “doors”) and Amiga (BBS-PC I think I ran the most).

Got a PC (seemed better for BBSs and wanted to multiline) tried a bunch ran rOverboard for a while (the BBS itself ran as a TSR; supported up to 4 modems, and allowed 1 user to run a standard DOS door (door.sys etc)). Once I went multiline I ran a null modem cable to my brother’s room and my Amiga, so had two phone lines and two computers directly connected. rOverboard ended up being buggy and so I tried some others… I think I tried some “standard” BBSs that supported multinode (eg the way CRS did things; one computer per phone line on a LAN) but using DESQview.  Didn’t seem real resource efficient.

I tried running a BBS on Xenix (Magpie) and later Linux early on (SLS distro, I think maybe Waffle or Citadel was the BBS program I tried) because obviously *nix was awesome for multiline modem based stuff. But it was not popular with users.

Switched back to DOS and tried Falken (Herb Rose out of Tysons Corners VA) which was amazing, had its own multitasker, you could run dos doors, supported dozens of lines (ran 4 phone lines + null modems). Had a chat and an API to add games to the chat (eg poker etc.) Eventually supported.  IIRC it even had echo mail support (~91-92).

Eventually settled on MajorBBS because a guy out of Montreal (Sylvain Durocher/Vircom) was adding TCP/IP support to MajorBBS and ponied up for it ($$ but I had a part time job so… all the money went to the BBS).  I think at one point I had 8 phone lines on ringdown in my bedroom at my parents.

Of course the Internet came and pretty much killed BBSs but that’s another story.  I recently got my amateur radio certificate hoping to do packet BBS stuff but it doesn’t look like there is much out there anymore, it’s all APRS (which itself is certainly interesting).  Always thought that amateur packet would be great for a “BBS” revival; using long range HF for “echo mail / net mail” and then connecting to the local BBS via VHF/UHF at tolerable (for text/ANSI) speeds of up to 9600bps.  I think though, that restrictions on encryption and content might make amateur packet “less fun” than the original BBS days (easy snooping when playing online games for example, and one would have to be careful bridging echo mail onto amateur radio from “land line” due to unpredictable content).

Mark