[kwlug-disc] Apparently YouTube loves Canadian Youtubers

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Mon Nov 28 21:00:34 EST 2022

Chris Craig wrote on 2022-11-28 17:52:
>     I too haven't followed closely, but my impression is that it's
>     trying to
>     be "Can Con" (Canadian Content for radio (& TV?)) for the internet.
>

>     Can Con has been pretty successful in promoting Canadian musicians as
>     far as I can tell, but the gist I get from C-11 is that it's either
>     misdirected, misguided, too great an imposition on the tech companies,
>     or maybe doomed because ... reasons, or maybe against our freedoms.
>

> The gist from Google/YouTube's standpoint is that in order to apply Can
> Con rules for Canadian users of Youtube, they would have to promote
> Canadian content in their recommendation system. They are saying that by
> doing this, Canadian users are less likely to receive the results they
> really want and react by downvoting videos that they otherwise wouldn't
> even have seen. Then because those videos received downvotes, they would
> be less likely to be recommended for the global community.

I can see some logic to that.

<tangent>

However, since users are no longer able to see the down-votes a video
has received to allow them to gauge whether it might be worth their time
to watch, I'm not entirely sympathetic to Google / YouTube here.

That was a some-times useful feature that they pulled to prevent
"brigading" influencing viewers, I believe?

"Brigading" can still occur, the content creator is still aware of the
voting ratios, but we users aren't.

But large down-vote ratios can also indicate poor quality content
unworthy of watching.

</tangent>