[kwlug-disc] Cyber Monday ...

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 13:05:29 EST 2022

Yeah, I hear you, it's just that a lot of the white papers extolling the
diff between surveillance drives and NAS drives come across as just so much
marketing-speak.

There is likely some tuning of the firmware to favour sequential vs random
read/write, but seriously, even if one has a bank of 16 cams, recording
720P/24fps in B/W, there will be 16 streams of seq writes at a relatively
low data rate. Is 16 seq streams akin to a 16x random data stream to the
firmware? I don't know, but it feels like it.

What I do know is that we have a number of clients using NAS boxes with NAS
drives, and they are connected to NVRs with anywhere between 4 and 28
cams(some even in colour). Running for years, no issues of drive death or
data path saturation.
The NAS drives are in a RAID5 config usually, so there is RAID controller
buffering going on to muddy things too.

I guess I just don't see how the "optimized for seq read/write" thing on
surveillance drives will work with the multiple-streaming reality of having
a bunch of cams streaming video to a drive, unless there is a TON of RAM on
said drive to buffer the many webcam streams before doing a seq write of
each stream/aggregated stream?

FWIW.

Ron S.