[kwlug-disc] The Fediverse is complicated

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 22 23:58:26 EST 2022

Quoting Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc (kwlug-disc at kwlug.org):

> Of course admins *should* do these things, but if they don't know that
> they should do these things then bad things happen. Sensible defaults
> matter, and I am not convinced Mastodon got these right.

Valid point.  OTOH, this isn't a first for complicated Internet
services.  For example, do commodity distro packages for MTAs
yet bother to provide meaningful antispam defences?  I haven't
checked in ages, so actually don't know.  Have been simply assuming they
don't, and build local config to implement local policy.

--
Cheers,                       He's making a database;
Rick Moen                     He's sorting it twice.