[kwlug-disc] The Fediverse is complicated

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Tue Nov 22 16:39:01 EST 2022

Doug Moen wrote on 2022-11-21 04:42:

> I don't think this article accurately describes the real practical issues in running a Mastodon instance.

Late Night Linux podcast covered running one's own Mastodon instance,
and there are some surprises.

Guest Alan Pope (@popey), from Canonical, ran / runs one and found quite
a lot of media on his instance, from sources that appeared in his timeline.

i.e. Nothing he'd ever looked at, videos and photos he didn't recognize
at all.

He's the sole user.

21m40s at this podcast:

https://latenightlinux.com/late-night-linux-episode-204/

> https://podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/traffic.libsyn.com/latenightlinux/LNL204.mp3

24m53s: "Are you not worried about moderation / content?"
"Yes! It's my box ... the media directory eating up disk space ...
massive videos ... no idea who these people are..."

Comes from the Federated Timeline.

Quite a humorous discussion - remote port forwarding, and since he ran a
Linode instance with port-forwarded ports 80 & 443 back to his office,
the whole "South African billionaire in control" joke was made.

rb