[kwlug-disc] OT: Drupal 7 Migration to Backdrop CMS

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Nov 21 21:26:37 EST 2022

If I recall correctly, some of the people here have Drupal 7 sites.

Despite Drupal 8 coming out, and then going into End Of Life after Drupal 9
was released, there are still more active Drupal 7 sites (~ 439,000) than
all of 8.x, 9.x and 10.x combined (~ 380,000).

The effort to upgrade from 7 to later versions is massive, and that is why
smaller sites have stuck with 7. Drupal.org itself is still on 7, but that
is mainly because of a complex set of modules that handle module issues,
releases, ..etc.

Drupal 7 is supported till November 2023 at least. The Drupal Association
cannot just pull the plug on 400,000+ sites.

Meanwhile, there is another path to stay with Drupal 7 for longer. It is
called Backdrop CMS. It is a fork of Drupal 7 that happened years ago, with
some improvements in storing the configuration as JSON files, a much better
layout manager, and various things here and there.

Backdrop CMS has many of the contrib modules already in core (Views,
...etc), and is 30% faster out of the box.

Recently, I completed the migration of my Drupal 7 sites to Backdrop CMS,
and it was fairly straightforward.

Migration is by swapping Drupal's files with Backdrop's, move your 'files'
directory, then rune /core/update.php. Depending on the modules you are
using, equivalent ones may have been ported to Backdrop CMS, or you have to
port them.

The process is not hard, provided you test the steps in advance and see
what needs to be removed, fixed, tweaked ...etc.

If you want more info on this, contact me off list.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.