[kwlug-disc] Bash Autocompletion (Nov 2022)

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Fri Nov 18 04:38:16 EST 2022

John Steel via kwlug-disc wrote on 2022-11-16 08:26:

> The only examples I've found so far escape the space instead of adding
> quotes. That's probably a good way to handle it. It seems that's what
> git does for autocompleting `git add filename\ with\ spaces`

That's what I came up with too.

But, the idea of using quotes intrigued me, so I gave it a go.

Doesn't seem possible?  I can change words previous to the "current
word", but they do not update on the input line once chosen.

I suppose updating them in a different part of the script is the way,
but it's beyond me so far.

If anyone does encounter any examples of that in the wild, let me know,
I'm interested in knowing how it's done.

Thanks,

rb