[kwlug-disc] Trust in Musk.. or go to NextCloud

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Nov 11 23:12:50 EST 2022

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 3:57 PM Jonathan Poole via kwlug-disc <
kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:

> Its hard to believe anything what we have are and being told.  I just
> trust the scientific method for everything now. But honestly. Have a good
> bullshit detector and suppress the ego.  It only needs to be slightly
> pissed off about something for it to survive.

Well said ...

Here are some tools (sort of critical thinking) that I collected which may
help:

Remember the acronym ESLOM:

   - *Evidence* (what is the evidence being presented)
   - *Source* (what is the source for that)
   - *Logic* (Is the deduction from said claims/facts logical? Or is there
   a fallacy in there)
   - *Omissions* (what claims/evidence is omitted that may sway the
   conclusion)
   - *Motivation / Bias* (what is the motivation/bias of the source, or
   whomever shared that info)

Other related points:

   - Don't put any weight to "Evidence Free Claims"
   - Discard any info that comes from those who are "Indifferent To Facts"
   - We may be living in a "Post-Factual Era"
   - Certain people are "Impervious To Facts" (see my last couple of emails
   on this)
   - Watch for "My opinions overrule your facts and/or experts' experience".

Again, all of the above works for you, as long as you have reason and
logic.
It will not affect in the slightest way the "impervious to facts" group ...