[kwlug-disc] Trust in Musk.. or go to NextCloud

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Nov 11 04:24:49 EST 2022

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 12:11:36AM -0500, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> It is more about the erratic behavior and inconsistent stances.
>
> A checkmark was intended to verify identity, to prevent impersonation. Now,
> for the sake of revenue, anyone gets it. Just pay $8 and pretend to be
> anyone.
>
> Claims to be a free speech absolutist, yet when some use parody to point
> out the perils of paid checkmark for all, he bans them.

So many assumptions here, it's hard to know where to begin.
If he won't allow parody, what makes us think he'll allow us to
impersonate him if we pay $8?

The benefit of payment means that there is a financial paper trail to
a real identity.  People can pay that $8 as often as they like, it's
still the same person.  Plus, it changes the average twitter user from
the product into a customer.  Both are net wins in the long run.

> When companies withdraw ads, he blames activists no his own erratic
> behaviour or his own retweets of conspiracy theories.

The list of companies withdrawing ads is large and wide ranging.
Do they think the people using twitter are all gone?  General Mills
doesn't need any more Cocoa Puffs customers?

I see at least some level of politics in the decisions, not just business.
It takes a certain level of willful blindness to pretend that such
withdrawl isn't hurting twitter, its employees, and Musk...  and they
like it that way!

It's certainly their prerogative, but everyone sees what they're doing.

> And he bought the company on a whim, for 3X its market value ...

The existing rot in twitter was also sadly hidden from the public until
he made that offer.

> He may improve Twitter in the long run, like he did with Tesla and SpaceX.
> But in the meantime, it is all because of his own actions ...

Partly his own actions, I'd say.  If he fails, he fails, but I'm eager to
see what he's able to do, and wish him luck, even though I'm not a
twitter user.

- Chris