[kwlug-disc] Trust in Musk.. or go to NextCloud

Hubert Chathi hubert at uhoreg.ca
Fri Nov 4 16:15:36 EDT 2022

On Thu, 03 Nov 2022 08:20:21 -0400, "Doug Moen" <doug at moens.org> said:

> But I imagine that it's not as easy as just running the
> software. During the 20th century I ran my own email server, but it's
> impossible today because the big servers won't peer with you if you
> have a residential IP address. Similarly, I imagine you need to
> convince other Mastodon instances to peer with you, which I imagine
> they won't do if your content violates their content policies. If a
> 100,000 new single-person NextCloud Social instances were to suddenly
> appear, would they just seamlessly become part of the Fediverse, as if
> 100,000 new Twitter accounts were created, or would this create chaos?
> There are only a few thousand Mastodon instances today. I don't
> actually know how this works, I haven't used the Fediverse.

It's much easier than email.  Mastodon (and other ActivityPub) instances
generally federate with everybody by default.  Instances can block other
instances if they decide that they are malicious (e.g. a spam haven, or
a frequent source of abuse).  Generally, having more active instances is
seen as a good thing in the Fediverse, as opposed to having only a few
larger instances.

Hubert, who is @hubert at social.uhoreg.ca