[kwlug-disc] Trust in Musk.. or go to NextCloud

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Thu Nov 3 10:57:27 EDT 2022

On Thu, Nov 03, 2022 at 08:20:21AM -0400, Doug Moen wrote:
> The @joinmastodon Twitter account points out that running your own
> Mastodon instance is cheaper than paying for a blue checkmark on the
> new Twitter. But how easy is that? Perhaps NextCloud Social is easier
> to set up and maintain than a Mastodon instance?

If Elon Musk manages to stir a fire of interest in distributed/federated
open source services, he may have done more to advance the state of
technology than most. :-)

Even so, I don't understand what people's panic is about.  Isn't Musk
supposed to be a free speech promoter?  If so, then there should be
*less* censorship on Twitter post-Musk than pre-Musk, no?

Nothing has quite motivated me to join Twitter yet, not post-Musk and
certainly not pre-Musk.  Twitter has been a hellscape so far, it's
long past time to let another man have a crack at it, and see what
comes out the other side.

- Chris