[kwlug-disc] DDG in the news again

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Fri May 27 11:23:06 EDT 2022

I think the fundamental problem with DDG is that it is free search supported by advertising.

Qwant is also free search supported by ads. Not so different from DDG. Rather than trust an ad company, I use malware blocking in the web browser when searching. Ublock Origin, NoScript, etc. For extra privacy, search using Tor browser. Unlike Google, DDG works over Tor.

The problem cited in this thread is tracking within the DDG browser. Well, I don't trust any browser created by an advertising company. I don't trust malware blockers to work when the ad company owns the browser. So I don't use Chrome, Brave or the DDG browser. I use Firefox (Fennec on Android). If I want Chrome, I'll use a fork of Chromium with the malware removed: Ungoogled Chromium, or Bromium on Android.

Doug Moen.