[kwlug-disc] DDG in the news again

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Fri May 27 07:09:21 EDT 2022

I can't reproduce the DDG "link tracking" using any of my normal ways of using DDG.
I normally use DDG with Javascript enabled.

However, if I load a DDG search page with Javascript disabled (using NoScript), then I get the no-javascript version of DDG. In that case, the search results have decorated URLs that redirect you to DDG.

DDG claims they use URL redirection in this case to prevent the HTTP Referer header from containing a link back to DDG. It's to improve privacy and prevent tracking by the sites you visit (those sites can't see the search term you used to reach them).
  https://duckduckgo.com/privacy

Doug Moen.