[kwlug-disc] How GIT stores stuff.

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Tue May 3 14:24:20 EDT 2022

On Tue, May 03, 2022 at 10:36:23AM -0400, Bob B wrote:
> It has some references to deeper information that look enticing, but in
> summary I think it confirms what I said in that GIT stores complete files,
> not deltas. At least not deltas as 'diffs' of text files.

This is correct.  At least until you run 'git gc' which then turns
those individual files into packs, which do store things in diff-like
ways.

When you do a fresh clone from a remote repository, you will download the pack,
which you can see if you look inside the .git directory.  If you start
your own git repo, you will see many individual files in the objects
subdirectory until you run git-gc and git decides it is time to
pack things up for optimization purposes.

- Chris