[kwlug-disc] sad news from the Ukraine

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Sat Mar 26 18:02:53 EDT 2022

> Trying hard not to be political...  The only thing I agree with the
> article, is that anti-armor technology has upper-hand in Ukraine
> environment.  But, armor will respond.  Hence, arms race.  I think,
> the software used in anti-tank missiles are probably developed using
> Linux, even if the production is not running Linux.
> Now, as for centralized vs decentralized, the article is superficial.
> Russia looked at what US has done and decided to downsize to
> "Battalion" units.  But, US has learned that's too small and is now
> upsizing back to "Division" units.  Had Russia entered Ukraine with 8
> armor divisions, then things might be different.

Russia did enter with tons of armored vehicles, and it didn't help. In
fact, they create bigger targets for shelling.

Ukrainians now have more tanks than what they had before this war.
Wha-at, you'd ask. Tank eats a ton of fuel. Even when it isn't driving,
it eats a lot of fuel. Ukrainians were hitting supply lines. A day
later, without fuel tank becomes a hip of iron. Iron gets collected,
recycling, you know :) . Outwitting opponent on lowest tactical level,
unit by unit, step by step, have created this result: Ukraine was
expected by many to fell , while instead a sizable chunk of Russian
armies have been butchered.

> I'm just pissed that I'm PAYING for this war... at the gas station, at
> supermarket, etc.

Heck ya. More so, Germany (!) has changed its stance on drones. We are
entering an upswing in militarization and respective wasteful spendings.
I am telling that putin&co have robbed everyone on this planet.

And, besides gas prices, food futures went up. No-ot fun.