[kwlug-disc] Firefox blasphemy: time to switch to Blink rendering engine?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Tue Mar 8 10:06:52 EST 2022

On Tue, Mar 08, 2022 at 09:18:16AM -0500, Doug Moen wrote:
> On iOS, WebKit is the only engine that is permitted
> to be used. The "Firefox" and "Chrome" apps on iOS use WebKit.

[...]

> For me, Mozilla is that guy in the browser space.

Those were two very interesting tidbits.  Thank you.  I didn't know
about the "browser UN" with vetos. :-)

As for all 3 browsers using WebKit, that opens up the other avenue
of competition that I would like to see.  I didn't know about this
either.

In theory, I reason that if it is possible to make both Firefox and
Chrome swap out their own engines in favour of a 3rd, then it should be
possible to create a browser porcelain UI that can plug into all 3 sets
of backend plumbing.

This feels a lot like the GNU toolchain sitting on top of a Linux,
FreeBSD, or Windows kernel.

- Chris