[kwlug-disc] Upgrading RAM - CAS, latency, ...

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Mon Mar 7 21:40:26 EST 2022

Hi,

I'm looking at FreeGeek - they have used DDR3 RAM sticks @ 2x4 GiB for
$15/each.

My PC has 2x8 GiB DDR3 RAM (1333MHz) (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10).

How concerned to I need to be in matching CAS / latency between current
and potential newly-used upgrade RAM?

The Corsair Vengence page that matches my Product ID:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/High-Performance-Memory/Vengeance%C2%AE-%E2%80%94-8GB-DDR3-Memory-Kit/p/CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10#tab-tech-specs

Conveniently, they mention "Tested Latency 10-10-10-27" and " SPD
Latency 9-9-9-24".  "?"

Also, There the speed rating is 1600MHz while lshw shows 1333MHz:

All I know is, "do not buy RAM with lower speed than currently installed".

Can anyone advise me further?

Thanks!

rb