[kwlug-disc] Older PC not booting Linux ...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jun 27 20:04:00 EDT 2022

On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 3:03 PM Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

> I am giving up on the motherboard.

A few days passed, then on a whim, I decided to poke around the BIOS
settings ...

And it turns out that the motherboard is fully functional if a single
onboard component
is disabled (the Ethernet LAN controller).

For some unknown reason, it was that controller which hangs the system when
the PCI
bus devices are being configured.

Again the message was:

pci 0000:00:15.0: bridge configuration invalid ([bus 00-00]), reconfiguring

Using an old PCI Ethernet controller that I had makes it fully functional
again.

The mystery now is why this board worked for many years, but then the LAN
controller
died?

Whatever it is, this motherboard is not going to end up in the landfill.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin