[kwlug-disc] have I ever told you guys that Facebook is evil?

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Thu Jun 16 18:02:33 EDT 2022

I saw that link but it doesn't tell me much.

Bill C-27 (the Digital Charter Implementation Act, 2022) "gives Canadians more control over their personal data, imposes fines on non-compliant digital platforms and introduces new rules for the use of artificial intelligence." (cbc.ca) It "proposes to increase Canadians’ control over their personal information and how it is handled by digital platforms. Canadians could request that their information be disposed of when it is no longer needed by companies." (globalnews.ca) Sounds good.

I would be interested in reading an analysis of how the new bill changes the status quo (from the earlier law that it replaces): does it make things better or worse? Geist's link doesn't tell me that. It just compares the bill to an old dead bill that was never passed.