[kwlug-disc] have I ever told you guys that Facebook is evil?

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Thu Jun 16 18:18:12 EDT 2022

On 2022-06-16 18:00, Chris Frey wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 01:47:39PM -0400, Doug Moen wrote:
>> Like for example, we just bought a new washing machine and dryer. The top
>> selling brand transmits everything you do to the manufacturer over the
>> internet. For now, this is opt in, but internet surveillance already cannot
>> be turned off for a growing number of consumer machines and appliances. We
>> bought a less popular brand with no surveillance, because that's something
>> that's still available.
> "Timmy, why aren't you doing your laundry?"
>
> "Can't Mom... the internet is down."
>
> :-)
>
> Correct followup (and the only one that may be available someday) is:
> "Then use the washboard Timmy"

I am not sure if aired the following dream:

Washing machine is a bunch actuators, connected to some logic. Replace
that logic with raspberry brain and needed switches to pass signals from
GPIOs to actuators: pump, motors, water inlets.

Note how with raspberry inside, it may talk via some Bluetooth to your
local handheld with fancy user interface(s).

Who is into the boundary between controller and physical world? There is
work to do.