[kwlug-disc] have I ever told you guys that Facebook is evil?

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Thu Jun 16 10:23:38 EDT 2022

Yup, that is super evil. And it's the hospital that's evil, not just Facebook. And it's the American gov't that is legalizing the evil.

I went to the Grand River Hospital web site and found a google tracker, but no facebook tracker. Ublock Origin protected me. But this US hospital isn't just installing an off the shelf tracker as part of the usual web dev "best practices" boilerplate code, their web code is explicitly sending detailed personal medical information from form submissions to facebook. Fortunately that practice is illegal in Ontario at least.

Although I'm skeptical that Ontario medical privacy legislation provides the level of protection you'd expect from a reading of the statutes. The vast majority of Ontarians with COVID vaccinations have had their vax status made available on the internet.  You have the right to refuse this, but they don't tell you this when you get a vax shot. If you make an issue of it, then you sign a paper form, they give you a paper vax receipt, and your medical information is not posted to the internet.