[kwlug-disc] Google with TOTP

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Jun 14 15:09:36 EDT 2022

On Tue, Jun 14, 2022, at 17:15, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> So TOTP with Google was not an option, because they require you to give them
> a phone number and they send an SMS to it (at least initially).

They probably require that initially for simplicity's sake since that is the most universally accessible option. However, it isn't required, at least at the end.

My google account has the following second factors configured:

* Multiple physical security keys (on me, safe backup)
* TOTP (which, upon review, maybe I'll disable. I don't it)
* Backup Codes (PDF in my encrypted safe storage)
* Android prompt (which requires me to unlock my device)

I specifically have SMS disabled as it is the least secure second factor.

--
*Chris Irwin*

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca
  web: https://chrisirwin.ca