[kwlug-disc] Quake II server

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 07:07:27 EDT 2022

Thanks everyone,

I think the .bsp file I had must have been bad because when I grabbed
a different quake II level, put it in the maps directory and changed
the config file to match the new level name the file started
downloading.

For a client I was using Yamagi Quake II under Xubuntu and it seemed
to work well with the server.

I also bought Quake II many years ago, so I had an original Windows CD
kicking around. (I think I bought the Loki Linux port too, but I
couldn't find that CD). For giggles I tried installing the Quake II
for Windows on my dual boot partition (it's been eons since I've
needed to boot Windows, but for the sake of testing I thought I'd try
it). It turns out that version didn't like the server at all (I'm
guessing it needed to be patched since the version is out of date). I
checked that Windows CD for the q2dm1.bsp file but didn't find
anything like it. (I found the q2dm1.bsp file from here:
https://www.lonebullet.com/maps/download-q2dm1bsp-quake-2-map-level-free-39798.htm).

Thanks everyone, the server seems to work fine with other maps if I
modify the config file.

Cheers,

On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 at 22:15, Jonathan Poole via kwlug-disc
<kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:

> Set the path in the startup script and you should be good.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Jun 2, 2022, at 11:06 PM, Charles M <chaslinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Jonathan,
> > I used the scripts at: https://linuxgsm.com/servers/q2server/ to
> > install the server.
> >
> > In /home/q2server I run it using ./q2server start.
> >
> > I had trouble decoding the script as it seems to be for several
> > servers (it creates and configures them), but when I used the debug
> > feature it looks like it starts with:
> >
> > quake2 +set dedicated 1 +set ip 0.0.0.0 +set port 27910 +exec
> > q2server.cfg +set deathmatch 1 +map q2dm1
> >
> > The quake2 binary is in ~/serverfiles/. (I had a look at
> > /usr/local/games and quake2 doesn't actually even exist there). I
> > tried adding PATH=$PATH:/home/q2server/serverfiles:/home/q2server/serverfiles/baseq2
> > (the baseq2 has my maps directory).
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Charles
> >
> >> On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 at 20:47, Jonathan Poole via kwlug-disc
> >> <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> What is your quake start command?  Ie how does the server start?
> >>
> >> You may need a directive to point it
> >>
> >> /path/to/bin/quake2 +set basedir /usr/local/games/quake2
> >>
> >> Sent from my iPhone
> >>
> >> On Jun 2, 2022, at 9:55 PM, Charles M <chaslinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> ERROR: Couldn't load maps/q2dm1.bsp

> > --