[kwlug-disc] Quake II server

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 20:25:32 EDT 2022

Hi all, has anyone in the group set up a Quake II server under Linux?
I'm having an issue where when I connect with a quake 2 client I get
the message:

ERROR: Couldn't load maps/q2dm1.bsp

In q2server.cfg there's a line:

map q2dm1

The q2server.cfg file is located in ~/serverfiles/baseq2

In ~/serverfiles/baseq2 I have a maps directory that contains a file
q2dm1.bsp and that file has: -rwxrwxr-x permission. All the files in
~/serverfiles and below are owned by q2server with the group q2server
(and the server is run as q2server).

The client definitely connects (I can see it if I run ./q2server
console on the server), but the map file doesn't seem to be there. I
tried putting the maps file and folder in the /home/q2server
directory, also no luck.

Any ideas what I've missed?

Thanks,

Charles