[kwlug-disc] cell phone security and privacy

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Wed Jul 27 17:13:06 EDT 2022

> Mikalai: Keeping your phone on your person at all times, as a security measure, doesn't work when you are crossing a border. One of the things that can happen (if you are randomly selected for extra security screening) is that the border guard asks for your phone, goes into a back room, does something, then comes back and returns your phone. You'll be asked to unlock your phone. In Canada, refusal to unlock is a minimum $1000 fine, maximum $25,000, and up to a year in jail.

In a less higher stakes scenario we may have simpler option. Carry your
real phone system on a micro SD card. Don't keep it in the PinePhone
when you are passing a border. You have an added benefit of having
normally looking boring android system, when you need to pretend normal.
Lot's of music there for your phone/player, and offline maps for travel,
check-in pdf/jpeg, something usefully normal, trivial and boring. You'll
be able to access that music when you run a system on SD card.

This is a plug for PinePhone :) . They say, newer chip and phone is faster.

Also, bonus if you find a way to break SD card with one hand, when you
feel so. Ya, some broken cards in a pocket of a suitcase.